Deception Valley Lodge, Central Kalahari
Deception Valley Lodge is a traditional family-run lodge on the outskirts of the Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR). Because it is set in a private reserve, there is more flexibility with activities than in the neighbouring national park – meaning they offer day and night drives and extended walks, all accompanied by qualified guides and Bushman trackers.
Deception Valley Lodge is a decidedly traditional lodge, with very hands-on owners who will often guide at the lodge, or at the very least try to meet every guest who comes to stay. It’s a comfortable place to get a very real feel for the Kalahari – the highlight is often the informative and very entertaining walk with the Bushman trackers.
- Location: Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Botswana
- Ideal length of stay: Two–three nights is probably the optimum stay here, although if you opt for the full-day trip into the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, then best stay for three nights.
- Directions: Access is usually by light aircraft to the airstrip on the property, and then it is around 15 minutes’ drive between the airstrip and the camp.
- Accessible by: Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended: Yes
- Medical care: The nearest doctor is in Maun, a drive of at least four hours. Medical evacuation is available in case of emergencies.
- Dangerous animals: High Risk
- Security measures: Guests are escorted to their rooms after dark as dangerous wildlife is known to wander through the camp. A safety briefing is given on arrival. However, note that there is currently no means to communicate with the managers at night in the event of an emergency.
- Security measures: Guests are escorted to their chalets after dark in case of animals wandering through the camp.
- Fire safety: There are fire extinguishers outside all the rooms and in the main area.
- Communications: There is no telephone or cellphone reception at Deception Valley Lodge. There is Wi-Fi in the main area. It is slow but adequate for e-mail, although travellers need to bring their own devices (laptop, smart phone etc).
- TV & radio: There is no TV or radio.
Family holidays: For family safari holidays in Botswana’s Central Kalahari, consider the two-bedroomed Kalahari Manor, near Deception Valley Lodge. As always taken exclusively, it has no age restrictions. Families can spread out casually and enjoy the flexibility of a private vehicle, guide and chef.